As autumn winds begin bellowing down street corridors and the familiar chill of fall descends upon us, we come together over a warm fire, good company, and food that soothes the soul. This vegetable stew will help you power through the coming cold, the jerk sauce imparts a flavor you never knew was missing, but once you’ve had it you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it.
A cheesy bread, and a strong spirit complement and elevate this dish.
- 1 Yellow Onions
- 1 & 1/2 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1/2 lb Carrots
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 lb Butternut Squash
- 6 oz Chickpeas
- 1 Cups Spinach (loose)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 cup Jerk Marinade
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Dice the onions, potatoes, carrots, and squash. Unpack the spinach.
- In a medium frying pan quickly (~4-5 minutes) saute the onions in olive oil under medium heat.
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbs olive oil over medium heat.
- Add broth, onions, potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Covering the pot, bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add squash and chickpeas. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add spinach. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Mix in jerk marinade and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes before serving.